Halloween Hours Announced for the City of Olean
October 25, 2016—Olean— Halloween in the City of Olean will be celebrated on Monday, October 31, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m.
“Residents who plan to hand out treats should turn on their porch lights during those two hours,” Mayor Aiello said. “In addition citizens who are driving should exercise extreme caution--many of Olean’s younger residents will be in costumes and will be crossing the streets.”
Safety is important on Halloween. The American Academy of Pediatrics makes a number of suggestions regarding trick-or-treating:
- A parent or responsible adult should always accompany young children on their neighborhood rounds.
- Obtain flashlights with fresh batteries for all children and their escorts.
- If your older children are going alone, plan and review the route that is acceptable to you. Agree on a specific time when they should return home.
- Only go to homes with a porch light on and never enter a home or car for a treat.
- Because pedestrian injuries are the most common injuries to children on Halloween, remind Trick-or-Treaters:
- Stay in a group and communicate where they will be going.
- Remember reflective tape for costumes and trick-or-treat bags.
- Carry a cellphone for quick communication.
- Remain on well-lit streets and always use the sidewalk.
- If no sidewalk is available, walk at the far edge of the roadway facing traffic.
- Never cut across yards or use alleys.
- Only cross the street as a group in established crosswalks (as recognized by local custom). Never cross between parked cars or out driveways.
- Don't assume the right of way. Motorists may have trouble seeing Trick-or-Treaters. Just because one car stops, doesn't mean others will!
- Law enforcement authorities should be notified immediately of any suspicious or unlawful activity.
For more information and other suggestions regarding Halloween please see the website of the American Academy of Pediatrics: www.aap.org.
“We are hoping for nice weather on Halloween and hope our residents have a good time throughout the day,” Mayor Aiello added..
Olean Municipal Building • 101 East State Street • Olean, NY 14760 • www.cityofolean.org