Low Income Household Water Assistance Program
Do you need help paying for overdue water and wastewater bills? The Cattaraugus County Department of Social Services and City of Olean are pleased to share that the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) can help.
LIHWAP is a drinking water and wastewater emergency assistance program facilitated by New York State and funded through new federal resources. Benefits are based on the amount of unpaid water and wastewater bills owed by applicants. This assistance is targeted at low-income households and income guidelines will mirror that of the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP).
LIHWAP benefits are based on the actual amount of drinking water and/or wastewater arrears, up to a maximum of $2,500 per drinking water or wastewater provider, or $5,000 if drinking water and wastewater services are combined, per household. Benefits are paid directly to the household’s drinking water and/or wastewater vendor(s).
Eligibility and benefits are based on:
- household size,
- household includes a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or qualified alien, and
- amount owed to drinking water and/or wastewater provider(s).
Primary applicants must provide:
- Proof of identity
- Proof of residence
- Documentation of earned and unearned income
- A drinking water, wastewater, or combined drinking water and wastewater bill listing their permanent and primary residence
- A valid Social Security Number (SSN)
- SSNs of additional household members will be requested
The Cattaraugus County Department of Social Services cannot take your application. This is a New York State facilitated program. To apply, visit the New York State application portal at https://otda.ny.gov/programs/water-assistance/