Recruitment & Testing
What can I do to increase my chances of being considered for employment?
- Take your EMT-Basic; see www.cattco.org/oes/ems for dates and class locations.
- Maintain your physical fitness
- Contact Cattaraugus County Office of Emergency Services for information on how you can join a local volunteer fire department: (716) 938-2213
- Preference is given to candidates who reside in the city you are seeking employment for one month prior to the examination date.
To qualify for Permanent Appointment as a City of Olean firefighter:
- Apply for and take Cattaraugus County’s Civil Service Firefighter Examination which is utilized by the City of Olean and Salamanca.
- Successfully pass an agility test and physical.
- Have a favorable interview score.
- Be selected as a Probationary Firefighter.
- Successfully complete the Recruit Fire Fighter Training Program at the New York State Fire Academy in Montour Falls, NY.
- Complete your EMT-Basic within one year of appointment.