Olean Police Department Halloween Safety
Olean Fire Department Halloween Safety
Halloween Safety Rules for Kids
- ALWAYS ASK YOUR PARENTS FOR PERMISSION BEFORE YOU GO WITH ANYONE.
- Always go trick-or –treating with an trusted adult.
- Stay in safe neighborhoods.
- Wear costumes with reflective markings and bright colors.
- Costumes should not drag on the ground or floor.
- Costumes should be made of flame-resistant material.
- Cross the street at the corner or in a crosswalk.
- Remove your mask when crossing the street.
- Only go to houses that have their lights on.
- Accept treats only in the doorway. Never go inside a house unless your parent's give you permission.
- Be sure to say thank you for your treats.
- Walk, do not run.
- Walk on sidewalks and driveways.
- Carry a flashlight or glow stick.
- Do not play near lit jack-o-lanterns.
Halloween Rules for Parents
- Young children should be accompanied by a trusted adult.
- Always teach your children that they need your permission to go with anyone.
- Know who your child will be with.
- Encourage the buddy system.
- Know the route your child will travel.
- Be aware of your child's activities and their sponsors.
- Give your child a set time to be home.
- Make sure children are in light colored clothing and/or have reflective tape on their costumes.
- Tell children not to eat anything before you inspect it.
- Dispose of all candy that is unwrapped or open.
- Report any suspicious activity to the police.