Refuse, Recycling & Yard Waste Pickup
Refuse is collected weekly (click here for Refuse Collection Schedule Map).
Refuse must be placed to curb by 7AM on the day of your pickup.
The City offers two options for refuse pickup:
1) Tote Program. Call 1 (800) CASELLA to rent a tote through the contractor.
Tote prices are as follows:
- $8.55 per month (plus tax) for 35-gallon tote (effective January 1, 2023)
- $17.10 per month (plus tax) for 64-gallon tote (effective January 1, 2023)
- $25.66 per month (plus tax) for 96-gallon tote (effective January 1, 2023)
2) Sticker System. A sticker must be placed on each bag or you can use a 30-gallon garbage can. Put bags in the can and place one 30-gallon sticker on the top item in the can.
Sticker prices are as follows:
- $1.54 covers up to a 15-gallon bag (effective January 1, 2023)
- $3.10 covers up to a 30-gallon bag (effective January 1, 2023)
Stickers are available at the following locations:
- Municipal Building (City Clerk’s Office)
- Tops Friendly Market
- Ried’s Food Barn
- Service Store/Park & Shop
- Country Fair
2022-23 Holiday Refuse Pickup Schedule
|Memorial Day:||One day later (all week)|
|Independence Day:||One day later (all week)|
|Labor Day:||One day later (all week)|
|Thanksgiving Day:||Monday-Wednesday on schedule
Thursday-Friday one day later
|Christmas Day 2022:||No change; pickup as usual|
|New Year's Day 2023||No change; pickup as usual|
WHITE GOODS PICKUP:
This covers large metal appliances, i.e. washer/dryer, stove, refrigerator, hot water tank, etc. The City offers a curbside pickup of these items four times a year in January, April, July, and October. The fee is $25 for the first item and $15 for each additional item. You must register and pay in advance of each pickup.
OTHER BULKY ITEMS:
The City does not have a regular schedule for large item disposal, i.e. mattresses, furniture, televisions, etc. Residents looking to dispose of these types of items will need to transport them to a Cattaraugus County Transfer Station. The County has their own fee schedule for disposal of such items. Please call Cattaraugus County DPW at 938-9111 or the Transfer Station at 372-6298 for details.
(see www.zerosort.com for more details)
Recycling should be placed at curb the same day as your refuse. There is no charge for recyclables to be picked up. However, they will only be picked up if you have stickered garbage out with it.
|Cardboard: Cereal Boxes, Pasta Boxes, Shoe Boxes, Pizza Boxes
Paper: Newspapers, Junk Mail, Envelopes, Catalogs, Soft Cover Books, Telephone Books, Brown Bags, Magazines and Inserts
Plastic: Containers #1-#7 (Milk Jugs, Bleach Detergent, Shampoo Bottles, etc.)
Glass: Bottles and Containers (Any color)
Cans: Aluminum, Tin, Steel Containers, (Pie Plates/Trays/Foil)
|Window Glass, Mirrors and Light Bulbs
Dishes, Pyrex, Ceramics
Foam Packaging, Styrofoam, Plastic Bags
Recyclables containing Food Waste, Paint or Oils
Hazardous Material or Universal Waste
*** Cardboard boxes larger than 2’ x 2’ x 3’ long must be broken down.***
The City of Olean’s contractor will be starting curbside pickup of yard waste in the City of Olean the last Wednesday of each month from April through September.
***Yard Waste is NOT affected by the Holiday Schedule***
Recycling your waste is easy! Conveniently dispose of grass. leaves, limbs and other brush on your property with no additional fee for collection.
- 6x per year
- Last Wednesday of each month between April and September.
- Please have brush bundled at curb side by 7:00am on collection day.
Front Street Open 2023
The City’s Front Street Lot, near the Seneca Street intersection, will be open to Olean residents, to dispose of yard debris from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (please note the time change) on the second Saturday of each month, May through September. Tree trunks and plastic bags are not accepted. This program is open to city of Olean residents only--NO CONTRACTORS. Proof of residency is required.
Yard Waste Rules
- All yard waste must be in PAPER lawn bags or containers no larger than 30 gallons with “YARD WASTE” clearly marked on them or remove the lid.
- Brush and limbs must be bundled together and no longer than 3 feet and 18 inches in diameter.
- Brush must be bundled together with twine or rope. Do not use wire.
- NO PLASTIC BAGS ALLOWED.
- Biodegradable or compostable plastic bags NOT accepted for yard waste.