On Tuesday June 27th at 1:39 pm the City of Olean Fire Department was dispatched to a report of a structure fire at 401 Alder St. apartment # 59, Olean NY. First arriving fire units found smoke coming from the apartment. Crews stretched a hose line and made entry into the fire apartment. The fire was quickly extinguished and crews then rescued one dog and one cat from the apartment. Ventilation of the structure and a check for any fire extension occurred. The fire was deemed under control at 1:56 pm. There were no injuries as a result of this incident. The fire displaced two adults, but no other tenants of the multiple occupancy building were affected. The City of Olean Police Department assisted on scene. The cause of the fire was deemed accidental. The City of Olean Fire Department would like to remind everyone of the following cooking safety tips:
- Stay in the kitchen while you are using the stove top (frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling food). Set a timer if you are using the oven and plan to leave the room.
- Keep anything that can catch fire – oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, and kitchen towels – away from the stovetop.
- Keep children and pets away from stove when cooking.
- If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol, avoid cooking.
- If a fire occurs, alert others and leave the building. Call 911.
- Grease fires can be extinguished by placing a lid over the pan and then turning the stovetop off.
- For oven fires, turn the oven off and keep the door closed.