OFD Press Release 8/12/2023 Front Street Structure Fire

City of Olean Fire Department Media Release

714 Front Street Structure Fire

Early afternoon Saturday, August 12 at approximately 1:26, City of Olean Firefighters were alerted to a possible structure fire at 714 Front Street. Fire Department units were on location with two engines and one ambulance within four minutes of being dispatched. On location crews found smoke coming from basement windows and attached garage on side of structure. Fire crews stretched a 1 ¾” hand line to the garage and into the basement. In the basement fire personnel located and extinguished fire near the hot water heater within eight minutes. Crews then continued efforts checking for fire spread and searching for any occupants. No one was home at the time of this incident and no injuries occurred as a result. Residents were out of town during this incident and property was turned over to property manager on scene.

The City of Olean Fire Department was assisted through automatic mutual aid by Trans Am Ambulance and would like to thank Trans Am for their assistance. All other mutual aid was initially withheld due to the quick work of the City of Olean Fire personnel.

The City of Olean Fire Department would like to remind all citizens to keep anything that can burn at least three-feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater and hot water heaters.

Stay Safe,

Captain Jim Theodore
Fire Chief Eric Maurouard